- 2 tbspns butter
- 2 tbspns flour
- 1/8 tspn nutmeg
- 1 1/3 cups milk or light cream
- 1 tspn salt
- 1/8 tspn pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups finely diced, well-drained cooked carrots
- 1 cup fairly coarse soda-cracker crumbs mixed with 2 tbspns melted butter
1. In a medium-sized heavy pan, melt 2 tbspns butter over moderate heat. blend in flour and nutmeg, add milk or light cream, and heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth -- about 3 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper. Mix a little of the hot sauce with the egg, then stir back into pan.
2. Combine sauce with carrots, pour into a 6-cup buttered casserole dish, and scatter the cracker-crumb topping evenly on top.
3. Bake uncovered in a moderate oven (350 degrees) for 30 to 35 minutes or until browned and bubbling.
More "Lost" Carrot RecipesCarrot Marmalade (1913)
Charlie Brown's Carrots Everyone Likes (1969)
(Origin - "The Grass Roots Cookbook" by Jean Anderson, published by New York Times Books, 1977.)
Post a Comment