- 8 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 lb natural Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 4 tbspns butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tspn sugar
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 1/2 tspn nutmeg
- Pinch basil
2. When tomatoes are cool, cut in halves and gently squeeze out seeds and excess juice.
3. Chop tomatoes finely, and saute gently in butter.
4. When soft, add salt, sugar, basil and nutmeg.
5. Add cheese a handful at a time, stirring until smooth.
6. Just before serving, quickly stir in beaten egg, beating hard and fast to prevent egg whites from coagulating.
7. Serve on toast, or as dip for bread cubes. Serves 3 to 4.
(Origin - "It's Fun to Fondue" by M.N. Thaler, published by Centaur House of New York, 1968.)