- 1 lb cooked roast beef, diced fine
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped fine
- 4 green chiles, diced fine
- 1/2 cup pimentos, diced fine
- 1 celery stock, diced fine
- 1/4 lb Swiss cheese, diced fine
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tspn lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 8 drops Tabasco sauce
- White toasting bread, cut into 1/2-inch slices
Warm both sides of bread under the broiler before topping with the sandwich spread. Place diced cook beef, hard-boiled eggs, green chiles, pimento, celery, and Swiss cheese in a bowl.
Add mayonnaise, lemon juice, chili sauce, and Tabasco sauce. Mix thoroughly and spread generously on bread slices.
Place on baking sheet and put 5 inches under preheated broiler. Toast until topping is browned and bubbly. Serve open faced. Yields 6 servings.
More "Lost" SandwichesThe Highball Sandwich (1940)
Classic Brown Derby Monte Cristo Sandwich (1959)
(Origin - "Dining by Rail - The History and Recipes of America's Golden Age of Railroad Cuisine" by James D. Porterfield, published in 1993.)