- 2 lbs whole fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 lbs Creole (beefsteak, Jersey) tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 lbs white potatoes , peeled and cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes
- 1 3/4 cups chopped onion
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 4 tspns finely minced garlic
- 2 1/2 tspns salt
- 1 tspn freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tspn cayenne pepper
- 3 whole bay leaves
- 1 tspn dried thyme
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tspn fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups water
Add the salt, pepper, bay leaves and thyme, and mix well. Add the chopped tomatoes, water and lemon juice, then simmer for 1 hour, stirring frequently. Add the cubed potatoes, and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
Add the shrimp, cover the pot, and simmer over low heat for 25 minutes more. Serves 4.
(Origin - "The New Orleans Cookbook: by Rima and Richard Collin, 1975. Note - Rima Collin was founder of The New Orleans Cooking School. Richard Collin was famed as the New Orleans "Underground Gourmet.")
More from "The New Orleans Cookbook"