- 5 lbs firm ripe Bartlett pears (about 20 medium)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green peppers
- 1 1/2 cups seedless raisins
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup chopped candied ginger
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 1/2 tspn each salt, whole cloves, and all-spice
- 3 sticks whole cinnamon
Pare, core, and slice pears lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices. Combine with green peppers, raisins, sugar, candied ginger, apple cider vinegar, and salt in 6-quart saucepan.
Tie cloves, all-spice, and cinnamon sticks in cheese=cloth bag. Add to mixture in saucepan. Simmer uncovered until dark and syrupy, about 3 hours.
Remove spice bag. Spoon into hot sterilized jars and seal at once. Makes about 4 pints.
More "Lost" Pear RecipesPear Pecan Crunch Pie (1978)
California Pear Bread Pudding (1976)
(Origin - "Betty Crocker's Cooking Calendar" published by General Mills, 1962.)