- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped nut meats
- 1-3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 1 tspn baking soda
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 1 tspn cinnamon
- 1/2 tspn cloves
- 1 lb can Ocean Spray cranberry sauce, jellied or whole
- Cranberry cream cheese frosting (see below)
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cream shortening and sugar, then add egg. Stir in raisins and nuts. Combine dry ingredients and sift. Add to first mixture. Stir in cranberry sauce.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour in greased tube pan, or for 30 or 40 minutes in greased 8-inch layer cake pans. Ice with Cranberry Cream Cheese Frosting.
Cranberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 oz package cream cheese
- 4 tbspns Ocean Spray cranberry sauce, jellied or whole
- 1/8 tspn salt
- 1 lb confectioner's sugar
Soften cream cheese with cranberry sauce. Add salt. Gradually add sugar, beating until creamy.
More "Lost" Cranberry RecipesToll House Cranberry Pineapple Sauce (1948)
Lady Bird Johnson's Molded Cranberry Salad (1965)
(Origin - "20 Famous Cranberry Dishes from Famous American Eating Places" by the Ocean Spray Cranberry Co, 1960. This recipe was from The Farm Kitchen restaurant in Baraboo, Wisconsin.)