- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- 2 tbspns milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 tbspns lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1 tbspn sugar
- 1 tspn nutmeg
1. Cream butter, sugar, lemon peel, milk, and egg yolks in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon juice.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl. Add to batter and mix just until blended.
3. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into batter.
4. Spoon into 12 greased muffin-pan wells. sprinkle with a mixture of nuts, sugar, and nutmeg.
5. Bake at 375 degrees 15 to 20 minutes, or until done.
More "Lost" Muffin RecipesSunset's Corn Pineapple Muffins (1963)
Vermont Butter Apple Muffins (1939)
(Origin - "Bread & Soup Cookbook" by the Culinary Arts Institute," 1976.)