- 4 lbs chuck steak
- 3 onions
- 2 leeks
- 3 carrots
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 8 tbspns butter
- 6 tbspns olive oil
- 1/2 glass Burgundy wine
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbspns chopped parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tspn caraway seeds
- 1/2 tspn each salt, pepper
2. Chop onions and leeks coarsely.
3. Dice carrots.
4. Put flour, salt and pepper in a paper bag.
5. Put meat cubes into bag and shake well.
6. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
7. Put bacon in large pot over low flame.
8. To bacon, add garlic cloves, carrots, leeks. onions and 2 tablespoons of parsley.
9. Cook, stirring until bacon is crisp and vegetables are lightly browned.
10. Brown meat in butter and oil.
11. Transfer meat and vegetables to a large casserole dish.
12. Add bay leaf, caraway seeks, Burgundy, and water to almost cover meat.
13. Cover and bake for 3 1/2 hours.
14. Before serving, garnish with parsley. Serves 4 to 6.
(Origin - "The Mother Daughter Cookbook" by Ruth and Pamela Gilbert, 1967)
Post a Comment