- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup finely diced mozzarella
- 1/2 cup chopped prosciutto
- 6 tbspns melted butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 eggs, beated
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 2 tbspns chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
2. Return riced potatoes to saucepan and stir over low heat for a few minutes to dry them out, stirring carefully so they do not burn. Remove from heat and beat in butter, cheese, egg yolks, and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Pack mixture into a shallow pan, cool and chill thoroughly.
4. Combine mozzarella, prosciutto and parsley.
5. Cut chilled potato mixture into 12 bars. Shape one piece at a time into a nest in the palm of hand. Put a good spoonful of the cheese mixture into the nest and shape the potato mixture around the filling, enclosing it completely, and form a ball.
6. Roll each ball in flour, dip in beaten egg, and roll in bread crumbs. Chill for 10 minutes.
7. Fry in deep fat heated to 375 degrees for 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Serves 6.
(Origin - "Ann Seranne's Frite Pan Cookbook" by Ann Seranne, 1971. Aside: Ann Seranne was Food Editor for Gourmet magazine.)