- 1/2 pound macaroni
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 pound mushrooms
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup cream or half-and-half
- Salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook macaroni as directed on package.
3. Separate eggs.
4. Cut up mushrooms.
5. Beat egg whites until stiff.
6. Butter a large mold with pastry brush.
7. Mix macaroni, cheese, egg yolks, and half the mushrooms.
8. Fold beaten egg whites into macaroni with rubger spatula.
9. Spoon mixture into mold. Place mold into baking pan of water.
10. Bake for 1-1/2 hours.
11. Mince remaining mushrooms.
12. Melt butter in pan.
13. Add mushrooms to butter.
14. Cook 10 minutes.
15. Salt and pepper to taste.
16. Add cream and stir.
17. Remove baked macaroni loaf from mold.
18. Pour mushroom and cream mixture over the macaroni loaf, which has been placed on a serving platter. Serves 3 to 4.
(Origin - "The Mother Daughter Cookbook" by Ruth and Pamela Gilbert, 1967)
More "Lost" Macaroni RecipesMacaroni and Cheese with Wine (1963)